Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Trivial

“It’s safe to say I really don’t know a think, but I choose to believe.”
--Dustin Kensrue

It’s finally starting to feel like winter around here. I’ve been miserable lately; I can’t explain it either. I haven’t been able to read the books that, during the semester, I was dying to read. I had high aspirations to start working on the novel that I’ve been pushing aside for six months now.

This struggle seems to be a little more of a personal foofaraw. Let’s just hope that it is trivial.

For the first time I went to the slopes by myself, for a couple of runs. I’ve come to find out two things from doing this:

  1. It’s not a big deal to go snowboarding on your own.
  2. Just like taking a long drive, the tranquility of the lift and the isolation of snowboarding without distractions is a great time to think. Between the river and the ravens, right?

Some of the things that I mused through while on my own:

  1. I’m hoping to be more ostentatious.
  2. Having a snowboard that actually fits you makes it much more enjoyable.
  3. My problems with writing.

I’m trying to become more pretentious as to not hide my greatness (see it’s working already). Sometimes I think of things and keep them to myself and smile—giving people the benefit of the doubt; for what reason do I do this though? Here comes that notion of tact again.

It seems that there is a greater debate as to whether height has a true bearing on the size of a snowboard that one should use. A couple of years ago, when I bought my first snowboard, I was told that it should stand equal to the height of my nose (or a little bit less). This past year when I bought a new one I was told that snowboards don’t know height (leaving weight as the bigger--but not only-- determiner) So my newest installment is a 154 while my original was a 164. I must admit that snowboarding is not only more fun, but much easier for me this year. The incompetence of snowboard salesmen and online references which all seem to butt-heads in the proper technique of choosing your hundred-dollar investment is why I will now choose to be more pretentious.

As for my writing problems… I guess I’ve just come to terms that I’ll never be a famous writer. Check that—it’s like McDonald’s’ catch phrase “hey, it could happen!” Plus, maybe someone will find my work after I’m dead. I’ll be a legend.

I’m trying to find out what is different in my life now that is retarding my writing process. Could it be that…

  1. I have a true life goal
  2. I’m spending much more time with my girlfriend
  3. I don’t know why, but I believe.

I don’t know what is impeding my writing, but I do know that I will fight it and win. But, for whatever reason, I’ve decided to put my novel on the backburner for a while. Blogging will suffice. Cheers.

1 comment:

Steven said...

You are a wonderful writer!