Monday, December 04, 2006

Liar, Liar, Liar...




Ed’s recent post has really intrigued me. Understandably I would have to agree with the common consensus and allow lying to be categorized as a character flaw. Although I don’t truly believe that it is a bad habit if you use it correctly. I would argue that lying is a skill. The definition of lying would seem to leave little room for debate. “Intentionally trying to deceive someone” is a hard statement to defend.

Is deceiving someone really a bad thing all the time? If you knew a person whom only had three hours to live, would you let them know? I know I’d let him/her live those three hours without the angst of contemplating and rationalizing death. How about those Full House episodes when DJ lies to get Stephanie out of trouble? [Side Note: Ro MAKES me watch the Full House reruns every Mon., Wed., and Fri. while we eat lunch.] “No Dad, Stephanie wasn’t out driving around with those high school kids!” It appears less of a vindictive act when it can be used positively, right?

On the other end of the spectrum, we have Eddie’s idea. He’s not going to lie at all, and, while this is very valiant of him, he will get labeled, as he so correctly identifies, as an asshole. It’s unfortunate. This reminds me of the movie Liar, Liar. “What’s up,” says one of Jim Carey’s character’s co-workers. While trying as hard as he possibly can to hold it in, Carey bursts out and says, “Your cholesterol, FATTY!” What’s worse: calling out a character flaw, or using one of your own to control it?

As long as I can remember I’ve been taught that lying is bad. Well, I guess anything is bad for you in excessive amounts. But, in reality, we need to understand what we’re dealing with. I’m not always going to go by what other people have told me. Sure, lying CAN be bad, but that doesn’t mean that it IS bad. That’s what I think, how about you? Cheers.

No comments: