Sunday, February 18, 2007

Dunk Contest

I just got back to good ol’ Cortland after a refreshing weekend home in the Hudson Valley. I don’t have much time to post, considering I’ve put my work aside this weekend when I really should have been concentrating on it, but I did want to write, quickly, about the NBA dunk contest last night.

First off, I would say that even people who don’t truly enjoy basketball could get into this sexy event. You’re right, probably not. But those who do enjoy the NBA, like me, would definitely not have missed the flashy affair. It was a disappointment this year, though.

I’m really getting tired of Nate Robinson. Most of the people who have met me would know that I have a strange obsession with the New Jersey Nets; however, despite the growing rivalry, I don’t hate the Knicks. I do, on the other hand, hate Nate Robinson. He’s unbelievably annoying. This is the second year that this guy is in the dunk contest, and also the second year that he took a mind-boggling amount of time to actually dunk the basketball. I get the appeal of a dude who is 5’9” dunking a basketball, but I can’t really get into it if it takes him ten tries.

The best dunk this year, by far, was Dwight Howard’s “sticker-dunk”. This 6’ 11” power forward created a sticker of his smiling face (the smile for which he is known for) and mid-dunk stuck it as high up on the backboard as he could. It was incredible; the guy defied all gravity laws. Here's a picture of a measurement of how high-up the sticker was placed.

Actually, that picture doesn't truly give that dunk justice. Here take a look at it...


Oh, but he’s the tallest ever in the dunk contest, you say. And, Nate Robinson is only 5’9”, you say. Well let me assure you that it’s just as miraculous that a guy as big as Howard can be agile and flexible enough to “throw it down” as he does as it is for Nate to get all the way up to the rim.

After his tenth or eleventh attempt, Nate finally accomplished some sort of alley-oop 360 dunk. The worst part was that he jumped around like he just hit a game winning shot after what felt like an hour of unsuccessful attempts. It was pathetic.

I’m not going to keep bashing on Nate, because I do appreciate his talents, I guess. The winner, Gerald Green, had some pretty innovative dunks—so, that’s good at least.

There was another guy in it, I think (Tyrus Thomas)? I think the dunk contest is hitting another one of its ruts, and I blame LeBron James. The guy is a natural dunker, and, for some reason, he just doesn’t allow himself to be in the competition. No sweat, though—one year someone will do something incredible (like Vince Carter did in 2000) that will revitalize the classic event.

I assure you that I will post again soon, but I love basketball. Auf weiderschrieben, folks.

No comments: