Wednesday, February 21, 2007

To Vent, Or Not To Vent


It’s really astounding how much I blog. I wake up in the morning and I blog. Before I go to bed at night, I blog. While I’m eating pizza in the morning, pizza in the evening and pizza at supper time… I blog. (This will happen when you are an author on three separate blogs.) Throughout all of this blogging I’ve come to find an interesting circumstance.

I was talking to someone yesterday and she asked me if I ever blog just to vent. And, I guess, my answer to that is… no (?). When I first started blogging as a freshman in college, I used LiveJournal as my blogging service. It was on this blog that I really just wrote to assert my emotions.

Now, though, things are different. I guess I got caught up in this whole “learning environment” idea (thanks, Will Richardson). I use blogging to further my addiction to learning. Not just learning as proposed by education. But learning as is the definition of learning.

I write about things that I’m familiar with, things that mean a lot to me, but I don’t necessarily know everything about. You see, I’m not an expert (yet) on any particular subject; however, the best way to become an expert is to *duh* keep learning.

So, most people who meet me understand that I’m one of the Nets’ biggest fans (self-proclaimed, of course). I tend to write about the NBA a lot, because I enjoy learning about it. The same thing goes with education. I’ve been studying literature for well-over five years now. I’m just starting to take core pedagogical classes. So, most of what I am interested in disperses from these facets. This is why a lot of my blog posts deal with the aforementioned areas.

Don’t get me wrong, though. I do blog, still, just to vent sometimes. Usually, though, these don’t get published. Consider this post. I wrote this poem just because I like to write poetry, and I appreciate all feedback (although, more comments would be nice). The issues that the poem takes hold of are issues that were plaguing me; therefore, I guess you could say that I used this medium to vent—right?

I really do believe that blogs can be incredibly beneficial. I’ve been boring anyone and everyone who reads this blog with this information for months now. But, basically, I can’t help but try to help expand my learning environment to others. Whew! I feel as if I’m beating this subject to death. So, on that note… later, folks. Cheers.

9 comments:

Steven said...

Be careful of the pizza! I lived on it at Community College where I began to have chest pains regularly. I was a manager at the Pizza Hut for a few years with an eating disorder. I will make a post about this on my blog tomorrow... I have much to say about it. Check out my My Jared Pics if you haven't seen them already.

rayhedrick said...

Those pictures are AMAZING, dude. I would have never imagined.

But, no worries... I was just quoting that dumb-old pizza on a bagel commercial. I don't truly eat pizza for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I look forward to reading more.

Ray

http://therealrayhedrick.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Good points, Ray. There's certainly no shortage of people who vent, complain, whine, bash, pontificate, ... in their writings. The problem from a writer's standpoint is it tends to alienate anyone who doesn't already agree with you, leaving only those like-minded individuals who aren't going to learn anything new from what you say beyond reinforcing their position. Of course, venting can be important for a whole raft of goals, including humor through sarcasm, making friends with similar thoughts, attracting attention to something or yourself, or even therapy; it just isn't a good vehicle for learning.

You've set an admirable goal for yourself, and one that can easily be accomplished. I had a high school principal once tell me that you should look for something good in everyone and adapt it into your own personality. The same could be said about learning. If you're open to it, you'll learn clever and interesting things from the most unlikely places.

Sean said...

It's good to vent once in awhile. Just don't include any names ;) Also, it's bad to make your blog JUST about how much live suck and this and that. That's what myspace is for lol.

It's good to learn, and I find there are a lot of blogs out there you can learn so much from, whether it information, or getting others' views about certain subjects.

Anonymous said...

Interesting topic.

Blogging vs. venting....hm... I blog, I'm a blogger. I never actually wrote that out, but anyway... I do blog to vent, but it is also either marked for my private reading, or written in a way that shouldn't offend readers.

I never list names or hints to identities. I feewrite. Whatever comes to mind is what gets typed. No spell check, no proof reading... just writing what's going on. It is honest. It is good practice and helps to keep the mind clear. After it is out there, it's done and then onto the next topic.

And if you need to bash,I agree that, of course that is what MySpace is for.

How is that for a comment?

P.S.
I totally eat bagel bites 3 times a day. All the cool kids do..... and I waited tables at Pizza Hut for 2 years! That Pizza can get to you after a while! :(

Anonymous said...

I have recently considered starting a blog. Yes, that would make about the seventh time I've started a blog. And, this is a time during which I have about 23,000 other things to do, and really shouldn't spend time blogging. But, were I to start a new blog, it would most likely be of the vent-about-how-I-hate-everything variety... would you still link me?

Anonymous said...

Well, I finally did take the initiative and start a blog (again). I have linked it for your pleasure.

Dave J. said...

I've found that when I have vented on my Blog in the past... I end up gaining perspective over time, and going back days (even weeks) later and editing emotional posts.

I guess someday I will learn to control my tone better, and keep it subtle. If you don't vent, that is probably a good thing Ray.

Ms. Moerman said...

I think that you'd find this interesting; I may be wrong. But thanks to my Mac computer, I get Wired RSS feeds on my homepage without even setting it up. (Just rubbing in the fact that I have a Mac... I kid, though.) Anyway, here's the website about China blocking LiveJournal. I think we can be grateful that we have the opportunity to blog: http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72872-0.html?tw=rss.technology