Monday, February 26, 2007

Withholding My Brilliance

Well, the good news is that I’m not incredibly sick anymore. The bad news is that I didn’t even get to celebrate my birthday because I was comatose all weekend. I’ll get over it.

It’s been a while since I’ve written, and I’ve had a lot of good ideas that I wanted to post about in the past couple of days. I guess my lack of blogging had something to do with the fact that I couldn’t stop coughing, even for one minute. Do you know what that’s like? It’s not fun.

This is frustrating to me and something worth writing about all in its own. Why is it that all of my best, most intelligent ideas are always the ones that I forget? It sounds pretty asinine, but I would admit that every time I have a significant issue to write about, I’m not near any particular medium to cement this idea.

I used to carry around a little memo pad in my back pocket, and, to this day, I still have a pen with me at all times. But, even when I have a “revelation” and write down notes to help initiate the thought process later, I never can grasp the full initial intention. Also, there are just some places where it’s not as practical to take out my pen and pad to write (I.e. while I’m on the lift heading up the mountain).

This, as one could imagine, becomes very frustrating. It really upsets me and may even lead to a rant on my blog one day. I would love to come up with some ways to avoid this; however, as I said before, bringing a pad and pen along with me hasn’t helped thus far. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? I’d hate to withhold society from my brilliance. Ha.

I guess, ultimately, there is no way to truly remember all of our “great” ideas. For this reason, I try to blog everyday. In doing this, it becomes hard to omit any idea that I may (or may not) have.

Well I guess that’s all I have for today, folks. Cheers.

7 comments:

Steven said...

Hi Ray,

I'm sorry about your illness spoiling your birthday. My son has been sick the past couple of days. My wife is taking him to the Doctors now. He has a miserable chest congestion, runny nose and eyes.

Anonymous said...

Jack's Mannequin will make up for the fact that you were sick on your birthday.

Just saying...

haha.

Glad you're feeling better.

Anonymous said...

I know it can be a challenge, I wrote about being "blocked" the other day so I searched the internet for an "Idea Generator" and got one also a Plot-O-Matic where you can come up with your own B Movie..Good luck

Sean said...

Weel written, and I know what you mean. I've had many good ideas just...poof! disappear. I could sit all day trying to remember them and can't even get a single word out.

Sucks to hear that you were so sick, it's never a fun time. Glad you got better though.


About that calender. I've never made one before but, I think the best program to use would be Adobe InDesign. You can set-up pages one after the other (so your 12 months are in order) and easily create a grid for the days. That would be best. You can download a free trial from the Adobe site if you want but it's tricky to learn at first. Sorry for not being much help, but that's all I can suggest. Good luck!

It might even be possible to find a free program to download that can help make calendars too. I'm not sure of any, but it's worth a shot.

Sean said...

I've never used Microsoft Publisher before so I don't know what it's like....but, as long as you got it done!

Andyconda said...

man i fuckin love this blog. i wish i wrote this often.

Dave J. said...

I agree with the blogging everyday concept. The frustrating bit with that though, is that rare day that you don't have a reality altering idea...

As an aside, thanks for posting over at my Blog. I have read quite a few of your posts here, now, and I got to say: very enjoyable.